Local Rule E-3 – Preferred Lies
When a player's ball lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less, the player
may take free relief once by placing the original ball or another ball in and playing it from
this relief area:
* Reference Point: Spot of the original ball.
* Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: Six inches from the reference
* point, but with these limits:
* Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, and
* Must be in the general area.
In proceeding under this Local Rule, the player must choose a spot to place the ball and use
the procedures for replacing a ball under Rules 14.2b(2) and 14.2e.
Penalty for Playing Ball from a Wrong Place in Breach of Local Rule: General Penalty Under
Local Rule F-1 - Defining Abnormal Course Conditions and Integral
Additional definition - Motorbike or bike damage which breaks ground is defined as an
Abnormal Course Condition.
Relief can be taken under Rule 16.1.
Local Rule I-1.2 - Practising Before Rounds
Rule 5.2b is modified in this way:
A player may practise on the competition course before or between rounds.